President Obama is asking for our “Ideas for Change in America”
From January – February 2010, more than 2,500 ideas were submitted and voted on by 100,000 people across the country. The top three rated ideas from each issue category, listed below, qualified for the final round.
Final round voting begins on March 1 and ends on March 12. The 10 most popular ideas will be presented to relevant members of the Obama Administration, and Change.org will subsequently mobilize its full community to support a series of grassroots campaigns to help turn each idea into reality.
It’s time to put Single Payer on the table with Improved Medicare for All:
A single payer, Medicare for All national health insurance program could save over $400 billion annually now wasted on overhead and bureaucracy, enough to cover all 47 million uninsured Americans. It would allow patients to go to the private doctor or hospital of their choice with no more HMO restrictions. Private insurance is a defective product that costs too much and covers too little – three-fourths of all bankruptcies for medical bills are among people who have insurance. We have 44 years of positive experience with Medicare taking care of our nation’s most vulnerable patients – seniors, the disabled, and people with kidney failure. Medicare for All would also allow the nation to reduce costs by buying medications in bulk, negotiating fees with doctors, and budgeting hospitals and other facilities. It would also allow Medicare benefits to be improved (to eliminate co-pays and deductibles, to add a comprehensive, permanent drug benefit, etc).
- Physicians for a National Health Program
Action and News:
- PNHP Blog (Physicians for a National Health Program)
- CNA/NNOC (California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee)
- Guaranteed Healthcare Blog Working for Guaranteed Healthcare on the Single-payer model
- Healthcare-NOW! Organizing for a National Single-Payer Healthcare System. HR 676: One Plan, One Nation
- Single Payer Action everybody in, nobody out
- Mobilization for Health Care for All Patients not profit!
- Mad as Hell Doctors
- PDA Healthcare for All (Progressive Democrats of America)
- Unions for Single Payer Health Care