Geithner is back on the Hill today to testify before the House Budget committee. I think I’ll pass. Dodd’s Senate Banking committee’s hearing on AIG might be interesting, and Eric Dinallo is one of the witnesses (he is the superintendent of the NY state insurance dept who threatened to regulate CDSs as insurance last year). Warren Christropher, James Baker and Lee Hamilton are scheduled to testify before the House Foreign Affairs committee on "The Role for Congress and the President in War: The Recommendations of the National War Powers Commission" – sounds interesting but I can’t stand the committee chair, Howard Berman. On foreign policy there is also Zbigniew Brzezinski and Brent Scowcroft testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations committee on our Iran strategy. I’m interested in seeing how dead the war on science is, so checking out the hearing on science education with Bill Nye and Harold Pratt at House Appropriations might be of interest. For a look ahead to future hearings, including next week’s, see the current weekly list.
9:30 am – House Energy and Commerce
Energy and Environment Subcommittee
On the role of offsets in climate legislation
9:30 am - Senate Energy and Natural Resources
An oversight hearing to examine future directions of energy research and development, and to identify key scientific and technological hurdles to overcome to pursue these new directions.
10 am – House Energy and Commerce
Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection Subcommittee
On consumer protection in the used and subprime car market
10 am – House Judiciary
Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law Subcommittee
Markup of adoption of the rules of procedure and statement of policy for private immigration legislation.
Adopt Rules of Procedure and Statement of Policy for Private Immigration Bills;
Adopt Rules of Procedure for Private Claims Bills;
Continue the Subcommittee’s Policy on the Granting of Federal Charters; and
Request Department of Homeland Security Departmental Reports on the Beneficiaries of:
H.R. 492, H.R. 660; H.R. 698; H.R. 1009; H.R. 1104; and H.R. 1290
10 am – House Oversight and Government Reform
Information Policy, Census, and National Archives Subcommittee
On the status of the 2010 Census operations
10 am – House Science & Technology
Cost Management Issues in NASA’s Acquisitions and Programs
10 am – House Armed Services
The full committee will meet to receive testimony on combating piracy on the high seas.
10 am – House Financial Services
"Perspectives on Systemic Risk"
- Orice Williams, Director, Financial Markets and Community Investment, Government Accountability Office
- Richard H. Baker, President and Chief Executive Officer, Managed Funds Association
- Steve Bartlett, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Financial Services Roundtable
- Therese Vaughan, Chief Executive Officer, National Association of Insurance Commissioners
- Robert A. DiMuccio, President and Chief Executive Officer, Amica Mutual Group
- Timothy Ryan, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
10 am – House Budget
Treasury Department Fiscal Year 2010 Budget
- The Honorable Timothy F. Geithner, Secretary, Department of the Treasury
10 am – House Veterans’ Affairs and Senate Veterans’ Affairs
Joint hearings to examine legislative presentations of veterans’ service organizations.
10 am – Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Follow the Money: Transparency and Accountability for Recovery and Reinvestment Spending
- Robert L. Nabors II , Deputy Director , Office of Management and Budget
- Gene L. Dodaro , Acting Comptroller General , U.S. Government Accountability Office
- Phyllis K. Fong , Inspector General, U.S. Department of Agriculture; Chair, Council of the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency
10 am – Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Hearings to examine American International Group, focusing on government intervention and implications for future regulation.
- Donald Kohn , Vice Chairman, Board of Governors, Federal Reserve System
- Scott M. Polakoff , Acting Director, Office of Thrift Supervision
- Eric Dinallo , Superintendent, New York State Insurance Department
10 am – Senate Judiciary
Business meeting to consider S.386, to improve enforcement of mortgage fraud, securities fraud, financial institution fraud, and other frauds related to federal assistance and relief programs, for the recovery of funds lost to these frauds, S.49, to help Federal prosecutors and investigators combat public corruption by strengthening and clarifying the law, S.146, to amend the Federal antitrust laws to provide expanded coverage and to eliminate exemptions from such laws that are contrary to the public interest with respect to railroads, S.256, to enhance the ability to combat methamphetamine, and the nominations of Elena Kagan, of Massachusetts, to be Solicitor General of the United States, Thomas John Perrelli, of Virginia, to be Associate Attorney General, and David S. Kris, of Maryland, to be an Assistant Attorney General, all of the Department of Justice.
10 am – House Appropriations
Commerce, Justice, & Science Subcommittee
- Bill Nye "The Science Guy"
- Dr. Harold Pratt Former President, National Science Teachers Association
10 am – House Appropriations
State and Foreign Operations Subcommittee
The Role of Civilian and Military Agencies in the Advancement of America’s Diplomatic and Development Objectives
10 am – House Foreign Affairs
The Role for Congress and the President in War: The Recommendations of the National War Powers Commission
- The Honorable Warren M. Christopher, Senior Partner, O’Melveny & Myers LLP, (Former Secretary of State)
- The Honorable James A. Baker, III, Senior Partner, Baker Botts LLP, (Former Secretary of State)
- The Honorable Lee H. Hamilton, President and Director, Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, (Former Chairman, House Foreign Affairs Committee)
10 am – House Homeland Security
Subcommittee on Management, Investigations, and Oversight Hearing
“Putting People First: A Way Forward for the Homeland Security Workforce.”
10:30 am – Senate Foreign Relations
Hearings to examine United States strategy regarding Iran
- Dr. Zbigniew Brzezinski, CSIS Counselor and Trustee, Center for Strategic and International Studies, Washington, DC
- General Brent Scowcroft, USAF (Ret.), President, The Scowcroft Group, Washington, DC
11 am – House Transportation and Infrastructure
Water Resources and Environment Subcommittee
Markup of H.R. 915, the "FAA Reauthorization Act of 2009"
H.R. ___, the "Water Quality Investment Act of 2009"
Fiscal Year 2010 Budget Views and Estimates of the Committee on Transporation and Infrastructure
1 pm – House Armed Services
The Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee will meet to receive testimony on Can DOD Travelers Book a Trip? Defense Travel System Update.
2 pm – House Appropriations
Commerce, Justice, & Science Subcommittee
Where Are We Today: Today’s Assessment of "The Gathering Storm"
- Norm Augustine, Former Chairman & CEO, Lockheed Martin
2 pm – House Natural Resources
Subcommittee On Energy And Mineral Resources
Oversight Hearing On “Energy Outlooks, And The Role Of Federal Onshore And Offshore Resources In Meeting Future Energy Demand”
2:30 pm – Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Subcommittee on Federal Financial Management, Government Information, Federal Services, and International Security
Hearings to examine how the Obama Administration can achieve an accurate and cost-effective 2010 census.
x-posted at oxdown