It’s a big day for hearings – Bernanke again, DNI Blair, Hansen and others on climate change, Napolitano on security, Gary Gensler’s nomination hearing to head the CFTC and lots more.
9 am – House Intelligence
On current worldwide security threats.
- Dennis Blair, Director of National Intelligence
9:30 am – House Energy Independence & Global Warming
On updating the nation’s energy grid with technology solutions that improve efficiency, save consumers money and create new jobs.
10 am – House Science & Technology
On the impacts of U.S. export control policies on science and technology activities and competitiveness.
- Lt. General Brent Scowcroft (USAF, Ret.)
- Mr. A. Thomas Young
- Professor Claude Canizares
10 am – House Transportation & Infrastructure
Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings, and Emergency Management
Post-Katrina Disaster Response and Recovery: Evaluating FEMA’s Continuing Efforts in the Gulf Coast and Response to Recent Disasters
- David Garratt, Acting Deputy Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency
10 am – House Ways & Means
On scientific objectives that climate change legislation should seek to achieve.
- Dr. James Hansen, Adjunct Professor, The Earth Institute at Columbia University, New York, New York
- Dr. Brenda Ekwurzel, Climate Scientist, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Dr. John Christy, Distinguished Professor of Atmospheric Science and Director of the Earth System Science Center, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama
10 am – House Financial Services
Monetary Policy and the State of the Economy
- Ben Bernanke, Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
10 am – House Foreign Affairs
From Competition to Collaboration: Strengthening the U.S.-Russia Relationship
10 am – House Homeland Security
On the future of the Department of Homeland Security.
- Janet Napolitano, Secretary of Homeland Security.
10 am – House Judiciary
On copyright licensing in a digital age focusing on competition, compensation and the need to update the cable and satellite TV licenses.
- Marybeth Peters, Register of Copyright, U.S. Copyright Office
- Fritz Attaway, Executive Vice President, MPAA
- Bob Gabrielli, Senior Vice President, DIRECTV
- Irving Bradley, Jr., Internet and Telecommunications Counsel, Consumers Union
- Kyle McSlarrow, President and CEO, NCTA
- David Rehr, President and CEO, NAB
10 am - House Natural Resources
Full Committee Oversight Hearing: "Offshore Drilling: Industrial Perspectives"
- Marvin E. Odum, President, Shell Oil Company
- Lamar McKay, Chairman and President, BP America, Inc.
- Larry Nichols, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Devon Energy Corporation
- Tim Cejka, President, ExxonMobil Exploration Company
- Gary Luquette, President, Chevron North America Exploration and Production Company
- Karen A. Harbert, President & CEO, Institute for 21st Century Energy, U.S. Chamber of Commerce
10 am – House Education & Labor
Renewing America through National Service and Volunteerism
- Usher Raymond IV, Recording Artist and Chairman, Usher’s New Look Foundation
- James Harris, Youth Participant, Usher’s New Look Foundation
- Richard Stengel, Managing Editor, TIME Magazine
- Van Jones, Founder and President, Green for All
- Cheryl L. Dorsey, President, Echoing Green
- The Honorable Harris Wofford, former US Senator (D-PA)
10 am – House Armed Services
The Joint Air and Land Forces and Seapower and Expeditionary Forces Subcommittees will meet to receive testimony on U.S. Transportation Command’s (USTRANSCOM) airlift, sealift, and surface lift programs.
- General Duncan J. McNabb, USAF, U.S. Transportation Command
10 am – House Veterans’ Affairs
Document Tampering and Mishandling at the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
10:00 am – Senate Environment and Public Works
Hearings to examine an update on the latest global warming science.
- R.K. Pachauri PhD, Chairman, United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Christopher Field PhD, Director, Department of Global Ecology, Carnegie Institution for Science, Stanford University Co-chair of Working Group II (Climate Change Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability [including North America]), United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Howard Frumkin MD, MPH, DrPH, Director, National Center for Environmental Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Director, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
- William Happer PhD, Professor of Physics, Princeton University
10:00 am – Senate Finance
Hearings to examine scoring health care reform, focusing on Congressional Budget Office’s (CBO) budget options.
- Douglas Elmendorf, Ph.D, Director, Congressional Budget Office
10:00 am – Senate Judiciary
Hearings to examine ensuring television carriage in the digital age.
10:30 am – Senate Aging
Business meeting to consider committee’s rules of procedure for the 111th Congress; to be followed by a hearing to examine securing retirement in a volatile economy.
1 pm – House Small Business
On the challenges small business face funding and maintaining retirement plans in a struggling economy.
1 pm – House Appropriations
State, Foreign Ops Subcommittee
Building a 21st Century Workforce
- Thomas Pickering, former Ambassador
- Prudence Bushnell, former Ambassador
- Edward Perkins, former Ambassador
- Jim Kunder, former United States Agency for International Development
1 pm – House Armed Services
The Strategic Forces Subcommittee will meet to receive testimony on the future of missile defense testing.
2 pm – House Judiciary
Markup of H.R. 157 – District of Columbia House Voting Rights Act, H.R. 1110 – PHONE Act, H.R. 628 – To establish a pilot program in certain U.S. district courts to encourage enhancement of expertise in patent cases among district judges, and H.R. 1107 – To enact certain laws relating to public contracts as Title 41, United States Code, “Public Contracts”.
2 pm – House Natural Resources
Subcommittee on Insular Affairs, Oceans and Wildlife
On H.R. 860 – Coral Reef Conservation Act Reauthorization and Enhancement Amendments, and H.R. 934 – A bill to convey certain submerged lands to the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands in order to give that territory the same benefits in its submerged lands as Guam, the Virgin Islands and American Samoa have in their submerged lands.
- The Honorable Felix P. Camacho, Governor of Guam
- The Honorable Togiola T.A. Tulafono, Governor of American Samoa
- The Honorable Benigno R. Fitial, Governor of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
- Kacky Andrews, Director, Coral Reef Conservation Program, National Ocean Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Nikolao Pula, Acting Deputy Assistant Secretary, Office of Insular Affairs, U.S. Department of the Interior
- Evangeline D. Lujan, Chairperson, U.S. All Islands Coral Reef Committee
- Ken Caldeira, Ph.D., Department of Global Ecology, Carnegie Institution of Washington
- Paul Dalzell, Senior Scientist, Western Pacific Fishery Regional Management Council
2:00 pm – Senate Judiciary
- David S. Kris, of Maryland to be an Assistant Attorney General, Department of Justice
- Dawn Elizabeth Johnsen, of Indiana to be an Assistant Attorney General, Department of Justice
2:30 pm – Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry
- Gary Gensler, of Maryland, to be Chairman and Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission
3 pm – House Armed Services
The Military Personnel Subcommittee will meet to receive testimony on beneficiary and advocacy views.
- Colonel Peter J. Duffy, USA, (Ret.), Deputy Legislative Director, National Guard Association of the United States
- Master Sergeant Michael P. Cline, USA, (Ret.), Executive Director, Enlisted Association of the National Guard of the US
- Ms. Kathleen B. Moakler, Director, Government Relations, National Military Family Association
- Colonel Steve Strobridge, USAF, (Ret.), Director, Government Relations, Military Officers Association of America
- Ms. Margaret McCloud, Member, Gold Star Wives
- Mr. F. Jed Becker, Chairman, Armed Forces Marketing Council
- Ms. Perri Brackett, Chairwoman, American Logistics Association
4 pm – House Rules
H. R. 1106- Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009
x-posted at oxdown