Galbraith and Volcker are my picks for today, unfortunately they are testifying in two separate hearings scheduled for the same time. This afternoon the Senate Foreign Relations committee submits their entry for the tone deaf award of the year with Madeleine Albright testifying on "engaging with Muslim communities around the world." My advice? Don’t tell them that killing half a million of their children is "worth it." Better yet, don’t enforce deadly sanctions aimed at collective punishment.
9:30 am – Senate Armed Services
Hearings to examine strategic options for the way ahead in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
9:30 am - House Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Energy and Environment
Renewable Energy: Complementary Policies for Climate Legislation
10 am – House Financial Services
Hearing on "Monetary Policy and the State of the Economy"
- Dr. James K. Galbraith, Lloyd M. Bentsen, Jr. Chair in Government/Business Relations, Lyndon B. Johnson School of Public Affairs, The University of Texas at Austin
- Dr. Alan S. Blinder, Gordon S. Rentschler Memorial Professor of Economics and Co-Director of the Center for Economic Policy Studies, Princeton University
- Dr. John B. Taylor, Mary and Robert Raymond Professor of Economics and Bowen H. and Janice Arthur McCoy Senior Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University
10 am – House Natural Resources
Subcommittee On Energy And Mineral Resources
Legislative Hearing H.R. 699 – Hardrock Mining and Reclamation Act
10 am – House Oversight and Government Reform
Hearing on How Convicts and Con Artists Receive New Federal Contracts
10 am – House Energy and Commerce
Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection
Revisiting the Toxic Substances Control Act of 1976
10 am – House Education & Labor
Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness Subcommittee Hearing
New Innovations and Best Practices Under the Workforce Investment Act
10 am – House Appropriations
Homeland Security Subcommittee
Disaster Response: Is FEMA up to the Challenge?
10 am – House Appropriations
- Dr. Gordon S. Heddell, Acting IG of the DOD
10 am – House Judiciary
Subcommittee on Courts and Competition Policy
Hearing on: Competition in the Ticketing and Promotion Industry
10 am – House Science & Technology
Beyond the Classroom: Informal STEM Education
10 am – House Ways & Means
Hearing on IRS Assistance for Taxpayers Experiencing Economic Difficulties
- Linda E. Stiff, Deputy Commissioner for Services and Enforcement, Internal Revenue Service
- Nina E. Olson, National Taxpayer Advocate, Internal Revenue Service
10:00 am – Senate Indian Affairs
An oversight hearing to examine youth suicide in Indian country.
10:00 am – Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs
Hearings to examine the Administration’s Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan.
- Honorable Shaun Donovan , Secretary, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
10:00 am – Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation
The Committee will examine Consumer Protection and the Credit Crisis and enforcement against fraudulent credit repair schemes under the Credit Repair Organization Act (CROA).
Specifically, the Committee will examine consumer protection in credit counseling, debt management, and foreclosure rescue programs and fraud. The Committee will also examine oversight of the federal authorities, protecting distressed consumers from mortgage fraud scams, and steering families away from these fraudulent schemes toward a path of financial stability.
- The Honorable Pamela Jones Harbour, Commissioner, Federal Trade Commission
- Mr. Prentiss Cox, Associate Clinical Professor of Law, University of Minnesota Law School
- Mr. Travis Plunkett, Legislative Director, Consumer Federation of America
- Mrs. Nancy Dix, Consumer
- Mr. Bill Himpler, Executive Vice President, Federal Government Affairs, American Financial Services Association
10:00 am – Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions
Hearings to examine integrative care, focusing on a pathway to a healthier nation
10:00 am – Senate Judiciary
Organizational Business meeting to consider committee’s rules of procedure for the 111th Congress; S.386, to improve enforcement of mortgage fraud, securities fraud, financial institution fraud, and other frauds related to federal assistance and relief programs, for the recovery of funds lost to these frauds, S.49, to help Federal prosecutors and investigators combat public corruption by strengthening and clarifying the law, S.146, to amend the Federal antitrust laws to provide expanded coverage and to eliminate exemptions from such laws that are contrary to the public interest with respect to railroads, and the nominations of David W. Ogden, of Virginia, to be Deputy Attorney General, Elena Kagan, of Massachusetts, to be Solicitor General of the United States, and Thomas John Perrelli, of Virginia, to be Associate Attorney General, all of the Department of Justice.
10:00 am – Senate Veterans’ Affairs
An oversight hearing to examine caring for veterans in rural areas.
10:00 am – Senate Joint Economic Committee
Hearings to examine restoring the economy, focusing on strategy for short-term and long-term change.
- Paul Volcker, Chairman, President’s Economic Advisory Board
- Roger C. Altman, Chairman and CEO, Evercore Partners, Inc.
- Adam Posen, Deputy Director, Peterson Institute for International
11 am – House Foreign Affairs
Building a Strategic Partnership: U.S.-India Relations in the Wake of Mumbai
1 pm – House Veterans’ Affairs
VA’s Update on Short and Long-Term Strategies for Implementing New G.I. Bill Requirements
2:30 pm – Senate Energy and Natural Resources
Hearings to examine recommendations for reducing energy consumption in buildings through improved implementation of authorized Department of Energy (DOE) programs and through other innovative federal energy efficiency policies and programs.
2:30 pm – Senate Foreign Relations
Hearings to examine engaging with Muslim communities around the world.
- The Honorable Madeleine K. Albright, Former Secretary of State, Washington, DC
- Admiral William J. Fallon, USN (ret.), Former Commander of U.S. Central Command, Cambridge, MA
- Dalia Mogahed, Executive Director, Gallup Center for Muslim Studies, Washington, DC
- Eboo Patel, Executive Director, Interfaith Youth Core, Chicago, IL
- Zeyno Baran, Senior Fellow, Hudson Institute, Washington, DC
2:30 pm – Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs
Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management, the Federal Workforce, and the District of Columbia
Hearings to examine protecting public and animal health, focusing on homeland security and the federal veterinarian workforce.
x-posted at oxdown